US Citizenship For Military Personnel

February 17, 2011 § Leave a comment

Members of the United States Armed Forces who want to become U.S. citizens may be eligible to apply under special provisions under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). Generally, U.S. Armed Forces can be understood as service in one of the following branches:

  • Army
  • Navy
  • Marine Corps
  • Air Force
  • Coast Guard
  • Certain Reserve components of the National Guard
  • Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve

Certain changes in some sections of the INA (Sections 328 and 329) have made it easier for military personnel to become U.S. citizens if they want to file a citizenship application.

There are certain requirements and qualifications that have to be met in order for you to become a U.S. Citizen. You have to prove

  • you have good moral character
  • you have knowledge of the English language
  • you have knowledge of U.S. government and history (civics)
  • your attachment to the US by taking an oath of allegiance to the U.S. Constitution

As members of the military there are certain eligibility requirements that you may be exempted from, including the necessary residency and physical presence in the United States.

Section 328 of INA is for all members serving in the U.S. Armed Forces at present or those who have already been discharged from service.

You will qualify under this section if :

  • you have honorably served for a total of one or more years.
  • You are a lawful permanent resident ( green card holder).
  • You will be filing the US citizenship form while still in service or within six months of being discharged.

Section 329 of INA is for members of the U.S. Armed Forces who serve at present or have served in active-duty during the periods of conflict as mentioned in the INA (1 st September 1939-31st December 1946; 25th June 1950-1 st July 1955 and 28th February 1961-5th October 1978) or additional period designated by the President in an Executive Order.

You will qualify under this section if :

  • you served in the U.S. Armed Forces honorably during a period of conflict.
  • you were lawfully admitted as a permanent resident (green card holder) of the US after enlistment, OR at the time of enlistment, re-enlistment or induction, you were physically present in the US or a qualifying territory.

Recently , the President signed an Executive Order that states 11th September 2001 and after as a period of conflict.


Tagged: ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

What’s this?

You are currently reading US Citizenship For Military Personnel at Understanding US Citizenship.


%d bloggers like this: