Lost Your American Citizenship Certificate?

March 11, 2011 § Leave a comment

If you have lost your american citizenship certificate, you have to file Form N-565 to get a replacement of the certificate. You have to prepare and and mail the completed N-565 application package to the USCIS along with the submission fees and supporting documents (if any). Detailed information about the submission fees, mailing address and supporting documents can be found in the instructions page that comes along with the application. Make sure you do not make any mistake in the submission fee or send it to the wrong mailing address as your application will be sent back to you.

With the application, you have to send two color photographs of yourself and the supporting documents. The photograph has to be taken within 30 days of filing your N-565 application. If you are filing this form to get a replacement of a mutilated document, you should to attach the mutilated document and send it along with your N-565 application. If your supporting documents are in a foreign language, it should be accompanied by a full English language translation where the translator has certified it as complete and accurate.

After the USCIS receives your application, they will check for completeness, including submission of the required initial evidence and the appropriate submission fee. If you do not fill out the form completely, or sent the application without the required appropriate initial evidence, you will not establish a basis for eligibility and chances are that, the USCIS might return your application. In addition to this, if your application is not signed or not accompanied by the correct fee, the USCIS will reject it with a notice that the application is deficient. So make sure your application is complete and also that you submit the supporting documents along with the correct submission fee.

After you file your application with the USCIS, you can expect to receive an Application Receipt Notice that will have a 13-character Application Receipt number within 30 days of having filed your application. This notification is the proof that USCIS has received your N-565 application. You can use the 13- digit number on the notice to monitor the progress of application status. The USCIS might require additional information from you or evidence when you appear at their office for your interview. They may also request you to submit the originals of supporting documents if need be. Finally, if the USCIS officials find you eligible for the new document, your application will be approved and the new document issued. If your N-565 application is denied, the USCIS will notify in writing detailing the reasons for the denial. The whole replacement process on an average will take up to six months.



Tagged: ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

What’s this?

You are currently reading Lost Your American Citizenship Certificate? at Understanding US Citizenship.


%d bloggers like this: