Renewing Your US Passport by Mail

August 3, 2011 § 2 Comments

You may apply for a renewal of your US passport by mail if you already have a U.S. passport that is not damaged and if you received it within the past 15 years. In addition to this, you should have been at least 16 years of age when it was issued and should still have the same name as on the passport or you can legally document your name change.

However, there are some exceptions for apply by mail ;

  • US citizens residing abroad (except those living in Canada) should renew their passports at the nearest US Embassy or US Consulate
  • US citizens residing in Canada may mail DS-82 renewal applications to the address indicated on the form. However, the payment has to be in US currency.
  • If your passport has been mutilated, altered, or damaged, you cannot apply by mail. You are required to apply in person.

It is important to note that if you are behind in child support payments, you may not be able to get a passport

If you qualify to renew by mail,you have to

  • complete form DS-82, Application for Passport by Mail form. You have to sign and date the application.

You have attach to the application:

  • your most recent passport
  • two identical passport sized photographs
  • the fee payable to the US Department of State
  • expedited service fee (If Applicable).

If your name has changed after your passport was issued, you must also include a certified copy of the legal document specifying your name change (such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption decree, or a court order). No photocopies are accepted. If your name has been changed by other means, you must apply in person.

Your previous passport will be returned to you with your new passport. If you mutilate or alter your US passport, you may invalidate it and risk possible persecution under the law. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six months beyond the dates of your trip and/or have two to four blank visa/stamp pages. Some airlines will not allow you to board if these requirements are not met.


Tagged: , ,

§ 2 Responses to Renewing Your US Passport by Mail

  • nancym22 says:

    If you have completed applying for US citizenship and if this is the first time that you are applying for a new passport, you must do it in person at an Acceptance Facility or Passport Agency using the USCIS Form DS-11 along with support documents like US citizenship proof, birth certificate, photos etc.

  • hazelickes says:

    If your passport was lost or stolen,You can (In which case, fill out Form DS-64) still use DS11. Your passport is important as filing US citizenship application form

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

What’s this?

You are currently reading Renewing Your US Passport by Mail at Understanding US Citizenship.


%d bloggers like this: