Travel Document

October 10, 2011 § 3 Comments

Form I-131 is used to apply for a re-entry permit, refugee travel document or advance parole travel document, to include parole into the US for humanitarian reasons.

Advance Parole is for applicants who have a pending Form I-485, Application to Adjust Status to Lawful Permanent Resident (green card holder), and who want to travel before the application is approved. A Refugee Travel Document is for applicants who hold Refugee or Asylee status and who want to travel outside the US. Re-entry Permit is for green card holders who will be outside of the U.S. for an extended period of time, generally one year or more.

If you are filing Form I-131 based on your pending or approved Form I-821, you are required to file the form with the USCIS Dallas Lockbox facility. In addition, you must include a copy of the I-797, Notice of Action that shows that your application was accepted or approved. If you are applying to get your advance parole document renewed, the USCIS will accept and adjudicate Form I-131 filed up to 120 days before the date your current Advance Parole document expires.

Applicants have to complete biometrics at an Application Support Center (ASC). If you are applying for a Refugee Travel Document while outside of the US, you have to get fingerprinted at an overseas USCIS facility. Applicants between 14 and 79 years of age applying for a Refugee Travel Document or Re-entry Permit are also required to get fingerprinted as part of USCIS biometric service requirements. After you have filed this application, USCIS will review it and will inform you in writing of the time/location of your biometrics appointment. If you fail to appear for biometrics, it might result in a possible rejection of your application. Applicants for Re-entry Permit and/or Refugee Travel Documents aged between 14 and 79 have to pay an additional $85 fee for biometrics.

The submission fee for advance parole or re-entry permit is $360 and for a Refugee Travel Document for an applicant age 16 or older is $135. For a child under the age of 16 years, it is $105. For applicants aged between 14 and 79, a biometric fee of $85 is required for a Reentry Permit and a Refugee Travel Document , unless the applicant resides outside of the U.S at the time of filing their form. However, biometric fee is not required for advance parole applicants.

Tagged: , , ,

§ 3 Responses to Travel Document

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

What’s this?

You are currently reading Travel Document at Understanding US Citizenship.


%d bloggers like this: