Passport Fair

March 7, 2012 § Leave a comment

Post Offices (Atlanta) will host a one-day Passport Fair on March 10, 2012. If you wish to apply for a passport, bring with you proof of American citizenship (previously issued passport, birth certificate, or a certificate of citizenship. In addition, bring any photo identification. This include a driver’s license or state identification card, military photo ID card or government issued photo employee card.

All minor children (below 16 years old), who wish to apply for Passports have to be accompanied by both parents. Note that children who are 16 to 17 should be accompanied by one parent. Also remember if one parent is absent on the day, the other parent should submit proof of sole legal custody of the child. He/she should also bring a notarized written consent of the other parent for issuing the passport. As an alternative, a written statement that explains why the non-applying parent’s consent cannot be obtained can be produced. Adults have to pay a $110 fee for Passports, whereas for children under 16, it is $80. For Passports cards, it is $30 for adults, whereas it is $15 for children. Both will be subject to a $25 acceptance fee. Photographs will be made available onsite for a fee of $15. Should you have your own, make sure the size is 2″x 2″. Note that applications to apply for passports are available online as well as at the Post Office.

Participating Offices/Time

9:00 AM – 2:00 PM

Acworth Post Office 4915 N Main St. 30101

LaGrange Post Office 950 Lafayette Pkwy 30241

Suwanee Post Office 990 Peachtree Industrial Blvd 30024

9:00 AM – 1:00 PM

Cumming Post Office 525 Tribble Gap Road 30040

9:00 AM – 4:00 PM

Howell Mill Station 1984 Howell Mill Rd NW 30327

Northridge Branch 1185 Hightower Trl. 30350

9:00 AM – 5:00 PM

Pharr Road Station 575 Pharr Road NE 30355

Sandy Springs Station 227 Sandy Springs Pl. NE 30328

10:00 AM – 2:00 PM

Griffin Post Office 101 N 8th St. 30223

10:00 AM – 3:00 PM

Adairsville Post Office 10 Finley St. 30103

Athens Main Post Office 575 Olympic Dr. 30608

Marietta Main Post Office 257 Lawrence St. NE 30060

Limestone Station 364 Green St. NE 30501

Lawrenceville Post Office 35 Patterson Rd 30044

10:00 AM – 1:00 PM

Forest Park Post Office 4989 Courtney Drive 30297

10:00 AM – 4:00 PM

Atlanta Main Post Office 3900 Crown Rd. SW 30321

1:00 PM – 3:00 PM

Loganville Post Office 4160 Logan Dr. 30052

Newnan Main Post Office 60 Postal Pkwy 30263

1:00 PM – 4:00 PM

Akers Mill Postal Store 2997 Cobb Pkwy SE 31139

Ben Hill Station 2260 Fairburn Rd. SW 30331

Briarcliff Station 3104 Briarcliff Rd. NE 30345

Doraville Branch 4700 Longmire Ext. 30340



Renewing Your US Passport by Mail

August 3, 2011 § 2 Comments

You may apply for a renewal of your US passport by mail if you already have a U.S. passport that is not damaged and if you received it within the past 15 years. In addition to this, you should have been at least 16 years of age when it was issued and should still have the same name as on the passport or you can legally document your name change.

However, there are some exceptions for apply by mail ;

  • US citizens residing abroad (except those living in Canada) should renew their passports at the nearest US Embassy or US Consulate
  • US citizens residing in Canada may mail DS-82 renewal applications to the address indicated on the form. However, the payment has to be in US currency.
  • If your passport has been mutilated, altered, or damaged, you cannot apply by mail. You are required to apply in person.

It is important to note that if you are behind in child support payments, you may not be able to get a passport

If you qualify to renew by mail,you have to

  • complete form DS-82, Application for Passport by Mail form. You have to sign and date the application.

You have attach to the application:

  • your most recent passport
  • two identical passport sized photographs
  • the fee payable to the US Department of State
  • expedited service fee (If Applicable).

If your name has changed after your passport was issued, you must also include a certified copy of the legal document specifying your name change (such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption decree, or a court order). No photocopies are accepted. If your name has been changed by other means, you must apply in person.

Your previous passport will be returned to you with your new passport. If you mutilate or alter your US passport, you may invalidate it and risk possible persecution under the law. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six months beyond the dates of your trip and/or have two to four blank visa/stamp pages. Some airlines will not allow you to board if these requirements are not met.


The US Passport

March 15, 2011 § Leave a comment

What is a US passport ?

A US passport is an internationally recognized travel document that confirms the identity and nationality of the passport holder. A U.S. passport is required for one to enter and exit most foreign countries. The U.S. Department of State is the sole authority that issues or verifies United States passports.

How long is the passport valid?

If you are 16 years or older when you got your passport, it is valid for ten years. If you are 15 years or younger when you got the passport, then it is valid for 5 years.

Where do I Apply?

You can apply for a passport at nearly 9,000 facilities nationwide that include many Federal, state, and probate courts, post offices, some public libraries, and a number of county and municipal offices. For more emergency cases, additionally there are 13 regional passport agencies and one Gateway City Agency that are designated to serve individuals who are to travel within 14 days, or who need foreign visas for their travel. In such cases, appointments are required.

Can all immigrants apply for a US passport?

No. Only those who were conferred American citizenship can apply for a US passport. Note that immigrants applying for US citizenship should file Form N-400, Application for Citizenship.

Applying in Person:

You have to apply for your U.S. passport in person if you applying for the first time. In addition to this, you should also apply in person if

  • your passport expired and is not in your possession;
  • your passport has expired and you got it more than 15 years ago.
  • your earlier passport was issued when you were below 16 years old.
  • you had a current U.S. passport and that it is lost or stolen.

If you are below 14 years old, you should appear in person, and be able to provide legal consent of your parents or legal guardians. It means that you (the minor) must either be accompanied by both guardians OR one guardian who can provide the other guardian’s notarized statement of consent OR one guardian who can submit sufficient evidence of being the soul authority to apply for the passport..

What to Bring:

To apply in person, you have to provide the following:

  • The appropriate Application Forms
  • Current Proof of U.S. Citizenship
  • Current Identity Proof
  • Two Passport style photographs
  • Social Security Number
  • All the appropriate Fees

If you are below 14 years old, in addition to proof of U.S. Citizenship, you should also be able to provide proof of relationship to appearing parents/legal guardians.

Where Am I?

You are currently browsing entries tagged with Passport at Understanding US Citizenship.