Changing Your Name on Green Card

August 24, 2011 § 2 Comments

A green card (also known as a permanent resident card) will help you live and work in the US permanently. If your name is changed after getting married, it is required per law that you update this information on your green card. You have to file Form I-90 for a replacement of your green card with the updated information. You can do this online or through mail.

Online Filing Process :

  • Go to and select Form I-90. You should have an user ID and password to log in to the E-filing system. You can create your own user ID and password. After entering all the information in the form, the system will list out the additional supporting documents that you are required to submit. The next step is to pay the submission fee by credit card or deduction from your check or savings account. The filing fee for Form I-90 is $450. (includes a $85 biometric fee).
  • Make sure you submit copies of any additional documents requested, such as your marriage certificate, photo ID or birth certificate. It is important to note that the USCIS will not start processing your application until they receive the package with all necessary forms listed in their instructions. Mail the application package to :

Nebraska Service Center

Attn: E-Filed I-90 Application

P.O. Box 87090

Lincoln, NE 68502-7090

  • As a subsequent step in the process, the USCIS will send you an appointment notice to get your biometrics taken. Also ensure that you bring the necessary documents with you to your appointment. You have to bring your biometric appointment notice and the original court order or marriage certificate that reflects the change in name. In addition, bring a valid photo ID. The USCIS will accept only your passport, national photo identification issued by your country, driver’s license, military photo ID or state-issued photo ID.

Filing by Mail

  • Download Form I-90 and complete it. Pay careful attention while filling the form. This application will come with instructions that detail the supporting documents that you need to submit. Remember to submit the original court order reflecting the name change or a certified copy of the court order or the marriage certificate indicating your new name.
  • You have to pay the required filing fee (same as mentioned above). Checks have to be made payable to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security.” You should mail the completed form along with the necessary supporting documents and the submission fee to:


P.O. Box 21262

Phoenix, AZ 85036

If you are using USPS Express Mail or a private courier service, mail the application package to :


Attention: I-90

1820 E. Skyharbor, Circle S, Floor 1

Suite 100

Phoenix, AZ 85034

  • After you file application, USCIS will review it and send you a notification regarding when to go to your local USCIS Application Support Center (ASC) for your biometrics appointment. As mentioned earlier, make sure you bring the necessary documents with you to your appointment.

If you want to change any information that you entered on your submitted I-90 application, you should bring evidence that justifies the change, along with you while you appear at your local ASC. Written correspondence regarding such changes will not be accepted. Also remember that USCIS will not honor refunds or returns in the event of an application being canceled or requested for withdrawal.


Where Am I?

You are currently browsing entries tagged with replacement of your green card at Understanding US Citizenship.